Fast Facts: About Us
Our mission is to develop midshipmen mentally, morally, and physically in preparation for service as effective naval officers in the U.S. Navy and Marine Corps.
Naval Reserve Officers Training Corps (NROTC) Program was established in 1926 to provide a broad base of citizens knowledgeable in the arts and sciences of Naval Warfare. The program provided an opportunity for young men to undertake careers in the naval profession. The NROTC Unit at NC State began as a cross-town affiliate of UNC-Chapel Hill in 1979. The Wolfpack NROTC Battalion became a full NROTC unit in 1988. The program has commissioned over 600 Navy and Marine Corps Officers.
- Eight military cadre
- Three government and one university support personnel
- One Military Family Life Counselor
- Classes – Students complete seventeen to twenty-five credit hours in Naval Science, receiving instruction in such areas as leadership, management, ethics, naval history, navigation, naval engineering, naval operations, and amphibious warfare.
- Leadership Laboratory – Provides hands-on application of military concepts. Activities include drill, leadership reaction courses, general military training, uniform inspections and guest speakers.
- Fitness – Students complete 1-3 rigorous physical training sessions per week. These sessions ensure the students will meet the physical requirements for military service and prepare them for the demanding training they will encounter after graduation and commissioning.
- Summer Training – During the summer, Navy scholarship students receive at-sea training on ships and submarines. Select students may receive training with aviation squadrons, Explosive Ordinance Disposal or SEAL teams prior to their senior year. Marine scholarship students attend Marine Month and Officer Candidate School.
Instruction to 80 students per year through 9 different course offerings.
An average of 20 students graduate each year with a minor in naval science, and also receive a commission as either an Ensign in the United States Navy or Second Lieutenant in the Marine Corps.